Statement from tauri devs about keeping a mop only realm?

femgobbo

As title. I can't find a clear answer on this, what I think is, eventually evermoon will progress to legion, skipping wod. I would love to stay dedicated to a mop only realm. Was there maybe even a survey with the existing pop who would prefer what? Staying on one expac or progressing? If I start on evermoon now and it will go from mop to legion, but devs create a new mop only realm could I be assured to transfer my main there? Would love to start here, but I feel somewhat unsure about the progression thing. Thank you tauri guys!

Btw your launcher sucks :)

Had major problems downloading the client and all that, took me many tries with different settings and using a torrent to manage to get it working. If you got the same problem

1. We did the same for wotlk and the old perma wotlk realm died in less than a week. Go figure.

2. There's a guide in the launcher on how to fix all those issues.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aithne said:

1. We did the same for wotlk and the old perma wotlk realm died in less than a week. Go figure.

2. There's a guide in the launcher on how to fix all those issues.

1. yes ok, but that's maybe because there are other wotlk servers? The private server scene is saturated with wotlk. I'm here because mop and I'm under the impression alot others are too. Was tauri's wotlk almost bug free? How high was the pop at the time? Were there already better established wotlk servers? 

2. Unsure if the tips state something like 'download the mop client via a torrent from somewhere else' or 'install the minimal client preferably'

reddit deleted my post, here again, can't edit my first comment

Maybe this can help some ppl, as I read there are some who have troubles with downloading the mop 5.4.8 client trough the tauri launcher and launching it. Personnaly I'm using an unlimited 1Mb per sec up/down lte connection, from my mobile which I tether to my PC.

At first I downloaded the downloader thing from here http://devil.tauri.hu/~kimbatt/english.html since I didn't want to use a torrent. After this one was finished after 2 nights of downloading. Opened the launcher, redirected the path to where I had the mop file saved and let it check. At first it just verified what I had downloaded, but would get stuck at around 77%, the launcher bar said it's downloading, while jumping from something like 12kb/s to 50 and back to zero b/sec. Let it run half an hour this way but made no progress, enabling p2p and other functions didn't help. Didn't check the mop file, should be 23GB.

Didn't want to give up there, so I downloaded utorrent and let it download the WoW Mists of Pandaria 5.4.8 Tauri Full Torrent. I checked all the files from the torrent, comparing them to either missing ones I had downloaded prior, or the ones which were smaller in size. Took me another 10 hours or so to download.

Then I opened the launcher again, this time it would stay stuck at 95%. Also tried to open mop with the wow.exe itself, but I got the archieve error. Was confused by then. Digging deeper into the error code and reading trough forum threads about a similiar issues I tried out more possibilities. I placed a realmlist.wtf with set realmlist hu.logon.tauri.hu inside the enUS file.

Then in the open tauri launcher I noticed a small config icon down middle left, I set the download to minimal client, let it check the path direction with all files yet again and it actually downloaded all 'missing' files correctly this time, even the text in the bar never dropped to 0b per second, stayed higher, jumping from roughly 50kb to 124 or something, it even had a text stating something like 'estimated time to finish 25 minutes', which it definetively didn't show prior.

But! It stopped at 99%, closed it, restarded PC and now I had a PLAY button this time. Clicking it gave me the wow errorcode about a archieve again, like when you open the wow.exe. Then I logged my account out from the launcher tried again. Took some time (probably because of my crap internet connection) to start up, first a small WoW window popped up and downloaded something which I'm not sure what it was, second the EULA/user agreement WoW text showed up after waiting a bit.

Then could log in finally, chose evermoon. Characters in the creator took time to load, probably because I use the minimal client? Made a fem goblin lock, first loading screen took ages, got booted from the server during the loading, logged back in and tada I'm in the goblin starter zone, few seconds in guild invite and chatted with the inviter.

Maybe this can help some with the same problem, what I wrote is by memory.

1 órája, femgobbo írta:

1. yes ok, but that's maybe because there are other wotlk servers? The private server scene is saturated with wotlk. I'm here because mop and I'm under the impression alot others are too. Was tauri's wotlk almost bug free? How high was the pop at the time? Were there already better established wotlk servers? 

This happened in 2014. Pop was at its highest right after Cata launch, it easily peaked over 5k for a few months across three realms, the main realm constituting 4k of that (here is a webarchive link from 18:30 server time in early September, about a month after server launch. Burning Blade was the WotLK realm that was left as WotLK and where you could continue playing your old character and here is a 17:12 afternoon snapshot from the Cata PTR times). Not only the WotLK realms were incredibly bugged, but so was Cata, along with literally every single private server that existed at the time.

1 órája, femgobbo írta:

2. Unsure if the tips state something like 'download the mop client via a torrent from somewhere else' or 'install the minimal client preferably'

Maybe read it idk it might even be simpler than that.

thank you for your detailed answer about the history of this server, the fact that  it already happened this way is certainly concerning. While I still think it would be different with mop and the work tauri put into it to make it so bug free today, I still understand that it potentially could lead to quite some pop decline. I simply wish for a kind of word from the tauri devs regarding this, but I can't find a clear answer. Maybe even you could those players who came here in good hopes of staying on mop. Not to speak of those not even joining atall once there are only legion realms? 

On another note, playing trough the goblin starter zones currently, the scripting is unbelivable good, different phasings of events, npc followers even the goblin pedestrians get knocked back when you hit them with the gobbo car mount thingy. This attention to detail, work and dedication which the people from tauri had put into this, it speaks for itself.

All I'm saying is, my current main is on a wotlk server with very dedicated people working on it too for years, but there are still some class bugs, ai pathing issues and the like. I'm there since 2016 (with breaks inbetween), I donated and still want to support them, but pop is just losing more and more average numbers. Paired with the fact that I came to hate pvp more and more because of the class inbalances (no workaround there, I know) I searched and found tauri.

WoW died to me after mop. You can tell by the shift of lore and the whole debacle that Blizzard has become, that everything changed to the worse.

If possible I will try to contact one of the tauri devs per email or something, we need an answer please

Although I wasn't yet a dev back when the wotlk->cata shift happened, I saw the mass amounts of "wow died with the lich king" posts. There were FAR more people asking for perm wotlk than those asking for perm mop right now.

Keeping a realm online does not take a whole lot of effort, but as it stands there is no real expected pop to be gained from it, based on how things stand currently, there really is no demand that would translate into actual population on a perm 548 server, based on our perm 335 experiences.

And don't try to reach devs on a gazillion different platforms, you'll get similar answers, and none of them are official until shit's announced on the front page. What I'm answering rn isn't a "yes" or a "no" either, it's a "You're very likely wrong in your assessment that it would be popular".

Not that I wanted to stay on wrath realms back there, but the implementation was bad too.

People played that expansion for 5 years and icc content was pretty long. Imo most people that wanted to play wotlk wanted fresh not just "copy your 6.3k gs bis geared char to a dead realm to do the same sht that you did for the last 2 years". + the mass exodus of players that stopped playing altogether.

(I'm not writing this to justify another dead realm, just wanted to share my opinion.)

Edited by Pallesz

What options are there? Progressed realm w/ character copy, progressed realm w/o character copy, fresh realm.

Which one of these is even worth talking about rn? I'm also quite sure that op did not really mean fresh mop, as they said "transfer my main there". So exactly how Burning Blade was executed...

18 hours ago, Aithne said:

What options are there? Progressed realm w/ character copy, progressed realm w/o character copy, fresh realm.

Which one of these is even worth talking about rn? I'm also quite sure that op did not really mean fresh mop, as they said "transfer my main there". So exactly how Burning Blade was executed...

yeah well I've zero interest in legion, just wanna stay on mop. there is only evermoon atm. I'd hate if I put time into my main toon, just to be forcibly progressed.

On my old main on the woltk server I've grinded some mounts (tlpd, sea turtle, horseman reigns), salty title, the oozeling pet and other vanity stuff. I've also donated and bought character only shop items. The other thing I mainly do is RBGs, bit of arena and duels. Have almost full wrathful except for 3 main pieces.

I'm looking forward in maxing out archeaology and getting the alch recipe for the drakemount transform, collecting some vanity items again, trying out transmogging. Ontop getting gud in PvP. I'm not so much interested in raids, same with on wotlk were you need PvE trinkets even for pvp.

Either make a fresh mop only realm with no progression, or asure that I can transfer my main to a mop only no progression realm once legion drops. Before this isn't clear I'm not buying the ogre idol from the donation store, nor will I start getting too attached to my gobbo, even tho i start to like it here. please